09 February 2009

Culture Shock

Apparently you should get ready for this title to be used often. But, this time I will say that I'm learning about it more than I'm living it so as to make it easier when I really experiencing differences in my new culture. As for how I'm doing, I've grown used to my surroundings so much faster than I thought. And I'm really loving it here. I owe you thanks for your part in my transition.

I now wake up before my alarm goes off at 7 - today I woke up at 4 which was a little too early to function for the day. Of course that would happen when I'm trying to cut down on coffee intake again.

I go to lectures all day about life . . . and life insurance. I skipped the mosquito class. Don't tell the nurses. I'm still not sure what shots I will get - but I didn't think I'd be getting any until I got here! I'm deciding what to do about banking options and investigating health care in Vienna. Their medicine is apparently a lot better than I gave them credit for. It will be nice to not worry about having to travel for good care. Some of my friends will not be so lucky.

I also made my first retreat to the City of Richmond. Carytown was wonderful: it's one of those areas like Magazine Street in New Orleans with plenty of shops, boutiques, salons and little cafes. There was a great ----- store where I found my brother's birthday gift. There was even a import shop called Eurotrash - where we discovered that our 'Lottie money' would not get far but it was fun to play. I'll post pictures of my adventure with my fellow Western Europe bound girls as soon as I can. They are available on Facebook now if you are my "friend."

**** News bulletin****

Amber's apartment is gorgeous. Her super just sent her a video tour of her place. It's perfect for having people over for dinner. And, with the way she cooks I'm sure people will be crowding in. If only I could get a place that close to a metro station! I can't believe they were able to find that place!

****End bulletin****

But, as I was saying, life is normalizing quickly. We were all quite challenged by our guest speaker, Stan, today as he gave us a crash course on cultural anthropology. And we were all grateful for the chocolate he tossed out to help us stay focused. Clearly, he is a brilliant man. I think a bunch of us our going to go with him to get coffee and talk more about how to communicate the God's love and His Gospel in a other cultures contexts tonight.

And, I'm also looking forward to more "special meals". Today we had pico de guillo, black beans and rice served with tortillas (rather than silverware) to experience a different way to eat. I have to say that it's been my favorite and probably one of the healthiest meals I've had here.

I wonder what we'll do next?

No comments: