12 April 2009

It All Depends on Who Asks

Such a wonderfully slow day after the craziness of yesterday. I'm still a little weirded out by the German style keyboard I'm typing on right now, so pardon any typos.

Yesterday's Ikea run was very profitable for me and my new place. Seriously, I was so grateful that I was able to go in there and find things that would work for the apartment and perfect for having friends from all over enjoy with me. I went for a more modern look. No surprise that in a lot of ways, my living room is starting to look a little like a cafe. I have many dreams in my head but we'll see what really works out. I'm still just amazed, because of how Ikea does things we were able to pack a couch, two chairs, a dinging room table, a day bed (the same style as mine in the States), and plenty of other odds and ends all in the back of a mini van with one of the back seats still instaled! Not that CE as very comfortable in it I'm sure but he was a total trooper about his squished seat and then unloading all that had been squishing him. We got a fabulous parking place thanks to the Holiday lack of people so unloading was a lot easier than expected - although I should mention that I did not carry the heavy things up all those stairs. And, I have learned to love my elevator.

Speaking of floors: one of the questions I had before coming here was, "What floor is my apartment?" It was hard to tell because the number was so odd. As it ends up, if an American were to ask me, I would say "the third." If an Austrian were to ask I would say, "the second." But I would also say, "but, according to the elevator: the first." And, to add to the complication, there's a letter on my apartment "number" because my apartment was once part of another apartment, which accounts for some architectural oddities. I'm also not all together sure which button at the front of the building will actually buzz my place. Probably there will be an experiment needed tomorrow.

I wish I could post pictures, but I haven't dug my adaptor out of my bags yet and I don't feel like messing with the B's computer to upload, edit, etc. Sorry. Really I am. I want to see the pictures and read your responces, but hopefully I can get that going by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Today, the whole gang (minus one of the boys how is not feeling well and his dad) went to one of the nearby parks in the hills close to town - can't remember the village name. We walked, sang, took pictures, sang. Of course there was an Easter egg hunt. The other people at the park were entertained by us. I learned a few German terms for foods and other related topics. The picnic was amazing with lots of sandwiches, hummus, and plenty of crackers and veggies.

Speaking of, I think I'll go have some more hummus for dinner!

No comments: