14 April 2009

Expectations







Today is really almost over for me. I registered as a resident of Wien. Got a bank account, a washing machine, duvet, some other odds and ends, made an appointment to get wireless and land phone line connection, and as I hope you'll see, posted pictures.

There are few things I was not expecting:

1. People who are working are polite and some are quite gentle and helpful.
2. Vienna is quiet but not as oppressively as Moscow. People do laugh and talk in public. Just not as loudly as Americans. Although it was odd that you're not even allowed to hammer on Holidays.
3. Sadly, Crocs have infiltrated to Austrian homes, mostly as slippers to wear at home. And some adults wear them in public! This horror actually makes me feel more less like a country bumpkin. But, if I ever see them in my neighborhood (other than tourists) I'll be shocked.
4. Chuck Taylor's are the height of Holiday weekend fashion here. I can't afford them, but it's good to see them around.
5. My deodorant brand is sold in regular Walgreen-type stores.
6. Hungary is good, cheap, close shopping. I can't wait for the next shopping excursion with the ladies. They even get their hair cut there.

1 comment:

Joe Kennedy said...

I love that I can learn about another culture though you right now. Since for the next few weeks, I still have nothing to do but pack.

My dad's adopted dad (who died when my dad was 17, which is why I didn't call him grandfather) was born in Hungary. Some town in the northwest area. I don't know the name, though.