11 April 2009

I live where!?!?!?

I don't have much time because I haven't unpacked my power adapter and my wonderful hosts can't find any, but I just want to say that I can't believe I'm here! I'm in Vienna - that place on my mind for so long is all around me. And, my friends have been so warm and welcoming. This transition is already going easier than I thought. Now if I can only learn German . . .

I'm sitting in the B's living room with Em B and I can see amazingly cool neighboring apartment buildings (pictures to follow) and in the distance, the central district, Vienna University's Liberal Arts buildings, and beyond them the hills (that are alive with the sound of music). To their building's left is the hockey arena where the Vienna Capitals play. The parking lot under the building reminds why I don't have a car or plan to drive! It's takes skill to get to the parking level where their tiny parking place is.

Yesterday I got off the plane and was greeted by the whole gang! They loaded me into the cars and we headed to the B's where I had some time to relax and enjoy some pastries Em and Addi got from a local bakery. Then I set out with the ladies of the team to see my apartment. My U-bahn station is so much closer than I thought! And the Belvedere is practically at my doorstep! From the maps I was thinking off scale. The blocks are quite small so there is a lot within easy access. I never thought I would live near embassies, but here I am!

My building is gorgeous and pink! I just can't get over all the details in the entry. It's early Art Neveau looking. (At this point I'm even excited about our tiny dumpters and recycling recepticles int he courtyard). My mail box already had two wonderful cards from my mother and the mothers in the group took notes to remind them to do the same for their kids when they move from home. I must say, I'm a little intimidated by the cage lift in the stairwell. Good thing the stairs are an easy climb so I can avoid it. My flat is beautiful and still dusty from on-going construction so I'm very glad I get to stay elsewhere while we tie up loose ends. Looks like I can have window boxes for the many plants I keep eyeing at every shop.

As we left the building, someone was delivering a very impressive grand piano to one of my neighbors. All I saw were the legs, but by the gilding I'm guessing that not all the apartments will be as modest as mine! The few people who passed the building were mostly young and one of my friends says he saw a couple of girls my age who looked like they were moving into the building when he came by to check on my place last week. This gives me hope I may be able to make friends with my neighbors. There were no signs of life from my two closest doors, so I'm hoping I will be able to help my neighbors when they move in.

There are two little grocery shops to pick up milk and such within a few steps from my building, but the street market to too close not to go to regularly! There are fabulous cafe's and the restaurant we went to for lunch was perfect; complete with a vine covered courtyard seating and white cat. As one walks to the Belvedere the prices go up (but I can get more Klimt gift shop essentials than could ever want - including a silk scarf apparently Sharon Stone bought), but I'm hoping that if I walk the other way things will be a little more reasonable. :-)

It is spring in Vienna so flowers are EVERYWHERE. It's striking to me how similar the plants are to Tennessee - especially Knoxville. I feel very much at home here among the daffodils and those yellow blooming bushes I can't think of the name of. The air is crisp and there is not a cloud to be found. Of course there are quite a few new trees, but I'm eager to learn their names.

After our girls gathering we went to the Coop I's Birthday party. I was wiped out by then so I didn't participate in the egg dying as I was afraid it would not end well. So, instead I was given the impossible task of judging the eggs are the brilliant egg-artists. I was SO grateful when 19hr came so pizza was picked up and I knew that sleep was coming soon. I'm sure the pizza was amazing but I don't really remember other than that it was rectangular and HUGE. All I know is by 20.30 I was asleep on the most wonderful bunk-bed ever. I'm getting tired just thinking of how tired I was!

Today begins the adventure of finding the perfect furniture for my wonderful apartment - and to stay in budget while we're at it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome!
It doesn't look like the pictures you mentioned got posted. :-(

Sounds like so much fun, and perfect for you.

Gary N said...

God is good! We have been praying for those new friends for months, it is so cool for you to finally get to meet them face-to-face! Saw the pics on Facebook. Have fun shopping for your new apt. Vienna will never be the same!!!