08 August 2009

When Dreams Wake

Today was grueling. I have to admit, because everyone I was in contact with today knows it, I spent most of the day in a wad of self pity. Nothing deeply upsetting; everything was just a little off from my expectation. And, my shoulders are rugburned from my backpack. But, I'm tired of all that now. Now, I thinking about the fact that I'm sitting in a parlor in London. I just had delicious Afghan food - that's still deciding what it thinks of my stomach.

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with double-decker buses gliding through these tiny streets. Sitting in the front window of the second story is too much like some dreams I've had of flying. Which made me think that really all I've been doing lately is living out all my favorite dreams. I've wanted to go to London since my mother came home with a tea set from her trip to the UK when I was five years old. I've longed to live in Europe. I've dreamed of opening my mouth and something other than English comes out.

These waking dreams are not as easy. They are humiliating and sometimes unnerving. But, I am living the dreams God has given me. I pray I have the courage to continue to live them all out. And, tomorrow I'll wake into my dreams again.

Til then I must sleep to make new dreams for the future.

1 comment:

Gary N said...

You are awesome! Enjoy your respite with friends in London and France and GET SOME REST!