07 May 2009

Today so Far

I know that those of you in the States are just starting their day, but I thought I've sahre a little of my day. (For those of you who are curious about my life.)

So, I woke at 7:30 this morning from a dream that I was a Kaiserin washing dishes. And my mother Kaiserin was completely appauled but explained that it was soothing.

I talked to God for a while but then God - or just my brain finally kicked in - gently reminded me that I had fallen asleep while watching "When We Were Kaiser" excepts and forgot to actually DO my Deutsch hausubung (homework).

So, I hurried my morning ritual - except for breakfast because muesli yogurt cannot be hurried - and walked to my U-bahn station in the flow of about twenty neighbors. I walked to the middle of the train so as to not get lost in the maze of the Karlsplatz station. I was a little disappointed because in my rush I didn't think through that the station is only two stops away so I wouldn't have time to do my Hausubung, but I might have been able to figure out the weather forecast from "Heute" (Today) the daily free paper that is half tabloid but it's free so I stare at the pictures and try to find words I know.

I was successful at passing both bakeries in that part of the station and surfaced at the right place so I could walk along B.gasse along with many classical musicians. This is about the point in time that I usually pretend that I'm going to rehearsal rather than German class. But, evetually, they all walk into the Musikakademie and I continue a few more feet to my Schole.

Class was good today, though we all seemed tired and under prepared. So, I was in good company. We learned enough today that I found out that Tob. is 19 years Old from Turkey. Tian. is from the Ukraine and she and J, aus den USA, are both divorced. They are all planning on returning home. Only the Ell's and I are staying on.

I also learned that if I say "mein freund" I mean my boyfriend, but if I say, "ein freund" we're friends. My instructor lives with Ihre Freund, so that word clearly means much more to them than "someone I know that I get along with."

But, the real test of my Deutsch was that right after class my phone rang. I'm glad I just checked my calender and was expecting a call from the inspector from Wien Engerie. I had to say in front of my teacher, "Entschuldigung, Ich spreche ein Bisschen Deatsch. Bitte, sprechen Sie Englisch?" She smiled encouragement. (Yay!) Unfortunately he only spoke a little English so we had this half and half conversation and then I high tailed it to the U-bahn not knowing if he really meant twenty minutes to my apartment or not!

I ran and caught the back of the train so as to not get lost in my train station then ran/walked up both escalators to the surface. I arrived as some of myneighbors were leaving so we all said our "Guss Gott"s. I beat the inspector but three minutes. He looked around, poked at some things, tried to explain the situation to me in technical Deutsch with the occational English to clarify that he was going to punch holes in the ceiling outside my apartment to add ventalation for my water heater, and then talked to the architect who did the renovations of the building and decided it wasn't necessary after all. I tried to act like I had something to do other than stare at him - especially sense he is my age, cute, and single.

He eventually explained that, "Alles gut blah blah blah" Deutsch. Pointed to an x that I signed next to. He asked if, "blah blah Ihre handy nummer Ok on de form?" And he headed out the door. He said, "Tut mir leid, blah blah blah alles OK."

So I said, "Kein problem, guten Tag!" because that's what you say when some says tut mir leid and they're walking away.

And now I am contemplating rye crackers with butter and jam and some hot rooibus tea for lunch.
And a nap maybe.

1 comment:

Bethany Chu said...

Well, I can't think of anything I would rather have done with the past 3.5 minutes of my life than to read your precious blog. I could hear you saying it in my head and I'm so glad that you took the time to write it. I miss you but am SOO glad that you're in the center of God's will...better that than the belly of a whale :) Ich liebe dich (right)