10 May 2009

Alighting

My apartment is getting settled. There are still many things to do, but they list is shrinking almost every day. This weekend has been the first time it's really sunk in that I'm here for years. Years of important moments and days that will be so very different from what I'm known before.

I can't really say that I missed my cousin's wedding yesterday because my parents took pictures of every moment from hair appointments to the last dance and many of them are already posted. When I couldn't sleep last night because I knew that T&R were "gettin' hitched," as my niece put it, at 2am my time, Paul gave the play by play with some commentary thanks to his cool phone and Skype. (He usually does something similar for Pred hockey games, so I'm glad he was well practiced.) But, I still missed so much. I missed my family's side whispers and hugs.

And, today I'm missing getting to spend time with one of my favorite people in the world. I don't get snuggle up to her and nuzzle her hair - so much like mine but white at the temples - and tell her how much I love her and why I think she's so beautiful. I can't tell her how much I brag about her; how I can't seem to let many hours go by without thinking of or doing something she taught me. I love to share the history and culture of Vienna with her because she's the one that taught me to love and learn about places and people.

At the same time, as she and I have talked about many times before it was, in part, her teaching and our relationship of shared passions that gave me the courage to come here in the first place. It is her passion for the nations that taught me to long to go to another culture. But even that would not be that meaningful if she hadn't shared with me the one person we are the most passionate about: our Lord and God, Jesus. She really taught me through her actions as well as stories that all people have cultures that enable them to uniquely experience and praise Him. And, over the years she showed me that the best teachers empower her students to become the their best selves. They teach people how to learn for the selves - what no person can give. I pray that one day I can say that I have released half the people she has from the labels and habits that people pass on to each other.

I am not saying that my mother is the only reason why I'm here by any means; however, I cannot overstate how God used her to equip me to be here. So, today I am reflecting on the life I've had with my mother and I look forward to many more years of her wisdom and grace in my life - despite the necessary distance to be able to fulfill the purpose of my work.

Love you, Momma.

No comments: